Re (6th): DNS lookup failure on Linksys router

I did check with Linksys and my router does not have DNS capabilities of any kine (except forwarding). I am behind a NAT, which may explain why the forwarding is not working correctly. I can not allow Linux to take over DNS for the network because it is not always on. What I decided I need to do is set up BIND to work for my penguin (Linux machine ;-) ), only. The router is not setup with a domain name (or hostname). How can I setup BIND to extract internal network IPs from the router's DHCP and forward all Internet requests to the WAN side of the router?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:55:09 -0800 From: Eric Wagar <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: ps. Re: Re: Re: DNS lookup failure on Linksys router To: "Discussion of Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike)" <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx> Message-ID: <200412211755.09338.eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> Would it be possible to setup BIND to extract the IP information from
> the router? If so, how? Please take into consideration my lack of
> domainname.

I may be coming in on this at the tail end, but since when does Linksys act as
a DNS server?  My Linksys doesn't, and I have never had a problem with  SBC
Yahoo! DSL nor Comcast cable.

The Linksys will login to the SBC network, get it's DHCP IP from SBC, and the
related DHCP information, which in this case includes the SBC DNS servers.
>From there, the Linksys will give the DNS information (ISP DNS server IP's)
along with the DHCP IP to the client.  From their, the client will query the
ISP's DNS servers.

For both my RH9 and my SuSE boxes, I have no issue at all.

Now, to answer your question directly, you can not set up an internal BIND
server to extract information from the Linksys router, as the Linksys router
does not run a BIND server.

If the Linksys router *does* indeed run a BIND server, you must tell the list
what Linksys router you have.  That way someone may be able to look at the
Linksys docs and give a definitive answer.