Re: Help! - USB HC TakeOver failed!

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 03:36:00 -0500, Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
<diogenes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 2003-11-29 23:34, Jay Daniels wrote:
On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:36:52PM -0500, Ralph E Kenyon Jr wrote:
> Nobody answered this before. Is this a really tough one?
> Can anybody give suggestions?
>
> I'm brand new to Linux. I have a socket 7 system on which I installed Red
> Hat 9, clean and alone, but the installation reports an error in the USB
> area.
>
> I'm getting "USB HC TakeOver failed!"
>
> A couple of weeks of searching and reading has not gotten me any closer to
> understanding what's wrong or how to fix it.

All else fails, you may want to try and use up2date to update to the
current kernel.  On the i686 tree, it's version 2.4.20-20.9

>From what I found at google, there was a kernel or module bug in the
pre released version you are using that caused this exact problem!

Anyway it's worth a shot.  I had good luck letting up2date update the
kernel then rebooting.  You may want to try it on your system or
you may want to investigate further.

good luck,

jay

Thanks, Jay,

It looks like my system board requires the i586 tree, since that's what got installed.

I installed the 2.4.20.-20.9 kernel, but it had more problems.
After checking the Red hat site, I installed the 2.4.20-24.9 kernel, but it reports the same error as before.

Could there be some other packages - USB packages - that might work?

Ralph Kenyon

I'm now up2date with Kernel-2.4.20-31.9.legacy

The chipset is SiS7001.

I find that if I modprobe usb-ohci, the usb seems to function.
It detects a hub I attached, and finds the Logitech tracball plugged in.

The system, however, hangs on checking for new hardware on bootup if the
usb hardware is plugged in.

I've tried adding post-install usb-oihc /sbin/modprobe usb-ohic to
/etc/modules.conf, but that does not solve the problem.

Any suggestions for how I can try to get the system to recognize the usb
HC on bootup?

Thanks,

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above page first!)
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.