Re: Finally...

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:16:39 -0700, Ken Arck wrote:

> I'm finally getting around to upgrading from Valhalla (7.3) to Shrike.
> While I have all the latest available updates for 7.3 (kernels, app,
> libraries, etc), I keep running into a brick wall with dependencies when
> trying to install 3rd party RPM's, so I figure it's time to do it right.
> I've downloaded the ISOs, burned them to CDs and I'm ready to go (yes,
> md5's are good).
>
> I have a couple questions:
>
> Any caveats to be aware of?

Note that Red Hat Linux 9 has reached end-of-life on April 30th 2004,

  http://www.redhat.com/security/archives.html

and you may need to get further security fixes for Red Hat Linux 9 from
a commercial project like

  Progeny Transition Service
  http://transition.progeny.com/

or free updates from the community project

  Fedora Legacy
  http://www.fedoralegacy.org

> I've been using ipchains and TCP wrappers all this time. Will RH9 require
> me to upgrade to iptables?

TCP wrappers has nothing to do with ipchains/iptables and is still
available. Whether you may need to convert to iptables/netfilter depends
on what features of ipchains you need. The ipchains implementation in
the 2.4 Linux kernel series is just a limited compatibility layer on
top of netfilter. Some features are not available.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.7-1.494.2.2
loadavg: 1.68 1.92 1.98