Re: RedHat 9 Peer2Peer Network

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 18:10, Dirk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Right now I'm willing to try just about anything short of a hammer to get
> telnet working on my LAN at home.

Nothing so drastic should be needed. :)

> There is no switch/hub, so that should not be an issue.

Using a cross over cable?  A little more info on your network layout
might help.

> I've configured xinetd to allow for telnet and have my /etc/hosts configured
> for a priavate network with static IP addresses.
>
> /etc/host.conf reads:
> order hosts, bind
>
> /etc/hosts.allow reads:
> ALL: 192.168.0.
>
> /etc/hosts.deny is empty
>
> /etc/xinetd.d/telnet reads:
> service telnet
> {
>         flags                   =       REUSE
>         socket_type     =       stream
>         wait                    =       no
>         user                    =       root
>         server          =       /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
>         log_on_failure  +=      USERID
>         disable         =       no
> }
>
> Ping works beutifully, so the network is there and the machines can see
> eachother. The way I understand it, I should now be able to use telnet.

Good, basics seem to be in place.

> I've also tried setting xinetd to allow fo ftp and rlogin. But all of them
> report that the connection is refused, or something to that effect.
>
> I can only assume that this is some kind of permission problem, but I'm not at
> all sure of that. If any of you know of something that I'm missing, please be
> so kind as to trow this poor sod a bone.
>
> Thanks,
> Dirk.

First guess is you have iptables running which is blocking all ports.

If I remember correctly you should be able to disable the firewall with
one of the following:

service iptables stop       (this would be my first try)

redhat-config-securitylevel (not sure this was in RH9 but it might be)

Once you have stopped iptables re-test your services.  If they work then
that was the problem.  You should then reconfigure iptables to allow the
service ports through that you need to use.

On a side note I would recommend you use ssh instead of telnet.  But get
your services working first then change to ssh and disable telnet.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Brain off-line, please wait.