System hang with black screen

Hello list!
I have installed Redhat 9 on a Dell PowerEdge 1750 machine.
It works fine but sometimes the system hangs with a black screen.
I don't boot into X.
I just run the machine as a webserver with apache 1.3, php and mysql.
Sometimes it happens that Mysql crashs and when i try to restart it, it
never
comes up. So, i try to reboot the system and on shutdown the system hangs
with black screen.
It is not possible to make anything. No reboot with CTRL-ALT-CANC, no other
things, there is only
a black screen. Only thing I can do is to take the power off and reboot the
machine. Then it
seems to work fine until it happens the next time...
Does anybody know what could be the problem?
Thanks&bye
Uli