NIS Config Question

Hi list,

i am running Shrike in my server. I have configured it as NIS server, to
share information to the clients. All clients could connect to the server
and authenticate.

Here, my requirement is that i want to configure some accounts to be local.
I created user accounts in those machines(after disabling NIS auth). Then i
reconnected to the NIS server and the users could log in giving the local
password and access automounts shared thro' NIS & NFS.

Then, the prob started. When a user(whose account exists both in server &
local) tries to change the password he is denied access as the system is
still a NIS client. So every time a user wants to change the password i
disable the NIS client(ypbind), change the password and then enable ypbind,
in order to get the autofs info from NIS. Other users who have their
passwords only in NIS don't have problem in changing the password using
yppasswdd.

In the problamatic clients i tried to change nsswitch.conf to look only
local files for passwd and shadow. But this too didn't work.

Can anybody shed some light on this, so that i can add local users(with
their info also in NIS) but maintain their passwords alone in NIS.
BTW, both local & NIS users have same uid, gid etc.

unintentional side effect.             --- Linus Torvalds
--
SK