resolving irq conflict

I discovered during power on from the BIOS that my communicatiion device for connecting to internet along with multimedia resources share irq11, setserial didn't solve the problem in resolving the conflict i.e separating both devices from sharing a single irq. how do i do it because i want my communcation device, the serial port on com1 to use irq11 while my multimedia should use any other available interrrupt request. i believe configuring the kernel itself would be helpful, so if it is, my kernel is 2.4.20-8. by the way, the linux kernel configured the serial port to use irq4 which i changed using setserial.