Tomcat running on Linux stops responding

Hi,
I am facing following problem :

Problem : I am having following configuration
        Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike), Tomcat 4.1.24, Postgres 7.3.4
        However my website stops working after day or 2.
        Only way to restart is kill the process and again run "startup.sh".
        I cannot stop normally using "shutdown.sh"

Points Checked -
1. The tomcat is not down, I can see process by "ps -ef"
2. However, as a result of "netstat -tcp" I am getting some unknown users accessing my "mysqld".
Under normal working conditions I can recognise the IP address and accessed processes listed under "netstat -tcp"
Actually I am not using "mysql" at all.
No other application on server is using mysqld.
3. The default Apache 80 port can be accessed normally(Tomcat is running on 8080).
4. I have changed the port to 8081, but problem persists.

Is it that someone is making lot of fake connections to slow down my tomcat, or am I infected by virus?

Any hint or pointer will be appreciated.

Kedar B. Gadgil(ケダル)
NSS Co. Ltd.
Yamaguchi Bldg. 2F, 3-15-5 Takada
Toshima-Ku, Tokyo 171-0033 Japan