Re: Linux Crashed: Urgent Help

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 05:22:36AM +0200, Marek Pawinski wrote:
> dont bother wrote:
> >Hi List,
> >Please help me : I have landed in the following
> >situation and I am helpless now.
> >
> >I have Red Hat Linux and Windows 2000 on my hard
> >drive. TOday I installed fresh Windows 2000 on my
> >previous Windows 2000.
> >When I started my machine again, Linux could not boot.
> >I booted it then with CD -- However the CD asks me to
> >install/upgrade it. When I clicked on upgrade it asks
> >me somethings like Language =EN , Keyboard etc...and
> >then says:
> >"The Linux Swap Partition does not seem to be
> >initialized" CLick OK to reboot your system.
> >
> >I could not get into my Linux. ALl the data is safe, I
> >can mount that to /mnt/sysimage when I went to rescue
> >mode. When I see my /mnt/sysimage/etc/fstab it does
> >not show my Linux Partition /dev/hda2 and when I try
> >to mount like
> >$mount -t ext3 /dev/hda2 to /foo
> >It does not work either.
> >
> >I am quite puzzled and wondering if at all installing
> >windows 2000 would have deleted the swap partition.
> >WHen I Do fdisk /dev/hda
> >and option p to print the partition table;
> >
> >I see the following:
> >Device     Boot    start    end  blocks id      system
> >
> >/dev/hda1       1         13    <some value>  Linux
> >/dev/hda2       14        1375  <some value>  Linux
> >/dev/hda4   *  1506      2432  <some value>+ HPFS/NTFS
> >

> >Please Help Me....
> >
> >Thanks
> >DOnt: In Need :)

> >Friends.  Fun.  Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
> >http://messenger.yahoo.com/
> >

> Looks like Windows 2000 has overwitten your boot loader. You should run
> "grub-install /dev/hda" at the command prompt when you run the rescue disk.
The above idea is a good one assuming you were using grub. If you are
using lilo run lilo to reinstall boot loader.

However, there may be a bigger problem. Windows should be installed
on the first partition of the disk, Now if you don;t what has happened
to you sometimes happens. That is, Windows destroys other partitions
on the disk, If that happens recovery may not be possible,
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.