Serious Help Needed: Wireless Connection

Hi Guys,

I have tried enough but feel helpless. You guys have
to help me.

I use Fedora Linux and a Xircom Wireless Card.

When the machine starts I get a message the device
"Xircom Aironet Does not seem to be present delaying
initialization" [FAILED] however "Starting wifi0 "
[OK]

AT HOME WHERE I HAVE A D LINK ROUTER AND AN ACCESS
POINT WHERE MY WIRELESS CONNECTION DOES NOT REQUIRE
ANY AUTHENTICATION

When I am at my home, I can easily access the wireless
connection. In Linux I dont even have to change the
SSID it does that automatically when the machine
restarts.

DOUBT 1:
-----------------
When I try to do some changes with ifconfig eth0
a.b.c.d and try to assign some other ip (and by
checking and making sure that I am not having conflict
with any other machine), the wirless internet stops
working and even if I do "service network restart"
nothing helps and I have to restart machine to make it
connect to interenet via wireless automatically.
How can I manage this without rebooting? what command
lines with options?

DOUBT2: I seriously need help on this: When I go to
University where I have to authenticate for using the
wireless connection I have tried everything with going
to network device control and making new wireless
connection and placing the correct "ssid"

I even tried to do this

iwconfig eth0 essid "mobilenet"

which is the ssid of my university campus.
But nothing works.

I know its not a problem of my wireless card since the
same card works in linux at home (as I mentioned
above). When I log on to windows I change the ssid --
internet works fine.

My problem is that I always program in Linux and I
hate to do programming in Windows but in the
University I am not able to connect to internet via
wireless in Linux and there is no way I can hook an
ethernet cable. Also the system administrators are of
not much help. Can someone help me  please.

Thanks,
Regards,
Dont