Re: Clamav

/etc/rc.d/init.d (generally) has the star/stop/restart scripts in one
handy place.
This could be a symlink to
/user/local/sbin/clamd

At the top of each such script there should be a few lines of comment
to help chkconfig
Those comments control how chkconfig will create symlinks in
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d
for how the service is stopped and started in runlevel 3, and
/etc/rc.d/rc4.d
for run level 4, etc for the other runlevels.

What's in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d is just symlinks whose names control the
start/stop sequence.

/etc/rc.d/rc goes through /etc/rc.d/rc`runlevel`.d/S* in numerical
order
S01mumble
executes for startup before
S02foobar
and
K01adipose
executes for shutdown before
K02tissue

Generally those symlinks point into /etc/rc.d/init.d, but
what is in /etc/rc.d/init.d could be symlinks that point to
/usr/local/bin/whocares

If those scripts are *not* in /etc/rc.d/init.d,
(and don't have links pointing to them in /etc/rc.d/init.d)
the chkconfig utility probably cannot take care of them.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(610)796-5838

Ajai Khattri wrote:

> chkconfig is a RH-specific tool and requires the startup script to
have
> certain keywords at the top. Unless the software came from RH, you
will
> have to edit the script in /etc/init.d/ and add that extra info.

Thanks, I didn't realize chckconfig was one of those 'special tools'

> Personally, I prefer to do it the "manual" way and not rely on
> distribution specific tools - just add the symbolic link instead,
i.e.:

> 	# cd /etc/rc3.d
> 	# ln -s ../init.d/clamd ./S98clamd
>
> (Assuming 3 is your default runlevel).

Yes, runlevel 3 is my default. Just to make sure I understand, the
./S98clamd in your second line above refers to the location of clamd?

Mine exists in  /usr/local/sbin/clamd so I would:

#cd /etc/rc3.d
#ln -s ../init.d/clamd ./user/local/sbin/clamd

--
regards,

shane

the system manager.