server configuration for local and internet priority

Hi all,

I'm new to linux, and I'm looking for some configuration help.

I have copied one of my domain web pages to my shrike box in /var/www/html/xenodochy.org, and I have setup a virtual host in httpd.conf as xenodochy.org.

<VirtualHost xenodochy.org>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/xenodochy.org
    ServerName xenodochy.org
</VirtualHost>

When I type the URL in my browser (Opera), I would like "http://xenodochy.org"; to show me the local copy from my linux box and "http://www.xenodochy.org"; to show me the internet copy.

When I run Opera on the Linux box with http://xenodochy.org, it takes me out to the internet rather than to the local copy.

My ISP has two virtual host definitions (with and without the www.) in their httpd.conf file.

One complication is my linux box is not my internet gateway. Because my satellite service is not supported on Linux, my linux box has a fixed local IP and goes through ICS on a W2K machine. My previous development was using IIS, but I want to get off IIS and onto Linux.

Can anyone tell me what configurations I might need to do where so that my browser looks for web pages locally before going out to the internet? It should find http://xenodochy.org on the linux box, but not finding http://www.xenodochy.org there, it should go out to the internet.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

--
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html