RE: resolving problems....

Joe,

Thanks for your reply...

>>It looks like the problem is that the lookups are going out UDP. (from a
>>netstat -a) but the responses are not coming back. At least not with the
>>address that is being looked up. The address of the authoritative
>nameserver
>>is what gets returned. (from tehtereal).
>>

>Yes, that sounds correct  - your system should then look it up using the
>authoritative address.

It is not looking it up at this point. It times out and fails. I have gone
as far as to change the resolv.conf nameserver entries to include the IP
multiple times and it still times out.

>>If I issue a host www.google.com it times out. If I issue a host -T
>>www.google.com it works find and returns the addresses.
>>

>If you did an upgrade, you will need to look in /etc for all config
>files named *.rpmsave or *.rpmnew, and reconcile them by hand, since
>there could be something out of whack there.

I have already gone and resolved all the rpmsavs and rpmnews and the problem
still driving me up a wall.

>>I am using ipchains and have a router between the machine and the cable
>>modem. I have set both TCP and UDP ports 53 open in both locations.
>>

>FWIW, ipchains emulation is a really bad choice, one of the reasons is
>that it is very inefficient.
>
>Why not use iptables?

I will give it a shot. But I want to get this issue fixed before I introduce
more variables into the picture.

Can you think of any other configuration info that might cause this kind of
problem? I have covered everything that I can think of. Short of going in
and rebuilding Bind, which has the resolver libraries.

Thanks,
Carlos