Re: resolving problems....

Carlos Mora wrote:

Mike,

Thanks, I have already checked that and it is set without the nisplus.

Is there a way to force all nameserver queries to use TCP?

I'm sure someone on the list will come up with a suggestion there, but that may not be the problem.

It looks like the problem is that the lookups are going out UDP. (from a
netstat -a) but the responses are not coming back. At least not with the
address that is being looked up. The address of the authoritative nameserver
is what gets returned. (from tehtereal).

Yes, that sounds correct - your system should then look it up using the authoritative address.

If I issue a host www.google.com it times out. If I issue a host -T
www.google.com it works find and returns the addresses.

If you did an upgrade, you will need to look in /etc for all config files named *.rpmsave or *.rpmnew, and reconcile them by hand, since there could be something out of whack there.

I am using ipchains and have a router between the machine and the cable
modem. I have set both TCP and UDP ports 53 open in both locations.

FWIW, ipchains emulation is a really bad choice, one of the reasons is that it is very inefficient.

Why not use iptables?

Joe