BIOS setting for Large Drive mode

I recently noticed that the BIOS setting on my laptop included having "Large
Drive Mode" turned on.  The help indicated that you may well want this
turned off if you were installing Unix.

Obviously, Red Hat will work with this turned on but would it work faster or
better if it was turned off?

If so then is there a way to get Rad Hat to work with the new setting
without reinstalling?  I tried to just change the BIOS setting without
making any other changes but the system would not boot.

TIA.

--
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation