Re: professional workstation

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 07:17, Norman Nunn wrote:
> I recently tried WS Rel 3 and elected to reinstall RH9.  Rel 3 installed
> ok and ran fine; however, I was disappointed with the selection of
> applications available.  I use Gnucash and it was missing as well as
> others in the multimedia area.  As an enterprise solution, it probably
> fits well with the needs of major companies but for a home user, it fell
> short of what I wanted.  I also had a difficult time locating a source
> of RPM's built for Rel 3.  That may have changed since December.  There
> was so much missing that I did not want to install from the tar files.
> Anyway, I am sorting out the options myself.
>
> Norm
>
> On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 21:56, Craig White wrote:

> > > If you are prettty happy with RH 9, and don't want to get down with
> > > fedora, the Pro Workstation idea makes sense - the management features
> > > make it a good choice for the workspace, but no reason it can't be used
> > > at home too.
> > >
> > > BTW I like fedora, in most ways it feels just like RH 9.1 - IOW it's
> > > like a faster, less buggy version of RH9.
> > ---
> > I think that the upgrade paths are likely to go smoother with their EL
> > products than with Fedora. Though Fedora upgrade (from RH 9) went
> > --
-----
I think that you should have no problem whatsoever installing rpm's
targeting for RH 8.0/9 on AS 3  -  I haven't so far but the issue is
that you cannot use up2date to resolve dependencies if the primary
target rpm isn't part of the distribution.

I have installed some things - like netatalk from source tarball - which
required the use of the kernel-unsupported-modules (appletalk isn't
supported by AS 3 beyond the separately installable modules rpm).

I got directory assistant to install (worthless for samba-3 users) and
it was a bit of struggle to identify all of the dependent packages - but
I did get it going. But yes, this was for an enterprise customer so it
was appropos.

Craig