Re: professional workstation

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 20:59, joe wrote:
> Craig Toenes wrote:
>
> >I currently have RH 9 and I am not hip enough for
> >Fedora.
> >I saw that RH recently came out with a "Professional
> >Workstation" that has updates and is renewable.  My
> >question is.. Do you think this is a good option for
> >those of us who are not savy enough for developement?
> >If I can do an upgrade as opposed to a fresh install,
> >this would be perfect for someone like me that wants
> >use RH on a personal scale. What do you guys think?
> >

> If you are prettty happy with RH 9, and don't want to get down with
> fedora, the Pro Workstation idea makes sense - the management features
> make it a good choice for the workspace, but no reason it can't be used
> at home too.
>
> BTW I like fedora, in most ways it feels just like RH 9.1 - IOW it's
> like a faster, less buggy version of RH9.
---
I think that the upgrade paths are likely to go smoother with their EL
products than with Fedora. Though Fedora upgrade (from RH 9) went
reasonably well for me, I did ultimately need to nuke ~/.openoffice to
get it to work.

Fedora will ultimately offer more exiting and more edgier updates than
RHEL/WS. I find RH AS 3 to be very fast and very stable but if your
desire is to run the latest version of KDE for example, Fedora would be
a better route.

Craig