Re: Encrypted NFS via ssh tunelling

Daniel Kemper wrote:

This is really killin' me, so I was wondering if you guys (and gals) can help.
I'm trying to setup encrypted NFS with ssh on a Redhat 9.0 box, and I'm
almost there.  Below are the notes I put together.  Really straightforward,
but I keep getting the error:

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

I have to admit I haven't tried this, so I can't fix your problems. However, I can say that attempting to port-forward a UDP port with SSH won't work -- SSH doesn't do UDP port forwarding.

I don't know if the mount protocol with a TCP NFS mount uses TCP or UDP, but it looks as though it might use UDP since you're getting connection refused messages and you're rejecting UDP to low-numbered ports. Try opening up UDP to the portmapper port (sunrpc, 111) and the UDP port that mountd uses (you can get this from rpcinfo). You could also try port-forwarding the portmapper and mountd TCP ports and see if that helps.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you're getting stuck in the mount protocol rather than in the NFS stuff. You might also find ethereal useful (in its graphical form which you get by installing ethereal-gnome, I think).

jch