Re: ghosting on LCD flatpanel through KVM switch

Blaise Canzian wrote:

Has anyone experienced sub-optimal display on a Sony Viewsonic 18" LCD flatpanel through a KVM switch? The KVM switch I have is pretty cheap. The fonts are ghosted, although the redhat-config-xfree86 finds the monitor correctly.

It's basically the cheap switch. The problem is, essentially, that the nice square waves being generated by the graphics card are being distorted. The ghosting is a ringing effect and you'll the opposite side of the ghost (the left hand side) is slightly soft as well.

Short of replacing the KVM there are several things you can do. You need to get the dot-clock frequency (I think that's what it's called) down. This translates as reducing the refresh rate -- if it's more than 60Hz, it's too much. If you choose foreground and background colours that have less of a signal difference it helps, except that, say red on green looks revolting :-) (and you get a shadow because of the way the pixels are laid out on the screen). The quality of the cables also has an effect. I also found that the graphics card itself makes a difference -- when the DVI packed up on my old Samsung 240T, I got a much better picture with a nice new GeForce4 compared to the old GeForce2.

The final option is to do away with the KVM altogether. Use ssh and/or X for access to the other machine (if Linux), VNC and windows terminal services are quite good as well. If you install the Cygnus X server than you can use a Windows machine to display applications running on the Linux box. It all depends on what you want to do. Windows does have an annoying tendancy not to work without a monitor, but you might be able to get away with the KVM not connected to the monitor and then use VNC or whatever.

jch