Re: Software Raid Problem

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Justin Zygmont wrote:

> why not try to use raidhotadd and it if it will work like that.

The partitions need to be created first.

> On 26 Jan 2004, Ivo Mencke wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > This is off topic.
> >
> > I have a rh9 box with software raid (all the partitions on sda are
> > mirrored via raid1 onto sdc)
> >
> > sdc failed. I plugged in a new drive (same size).. but the partitions
> > did not sync over. I would like to know if there is a way to just import
> > the new disk into the array and have everything just sync over,
> > partitions etc, or do i need to create the partitions first on sdc and
> > then sync them all using raidhotadd?

You need to make the partitions on sdc first, then raidhotadd will work,
and the disk will sync up.

This link is helpful, as are others on google:
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-July/014331.html

I just did this the other day. Something like this ought to get you
started:

man sfdisk
man raidhotadd

sfdisk -d /dev/sda > sda.part.info
cat sda.part.info | sed 's/sda/sdc/' > sdc.part.info
sfdisk /dev/sdc < sdc.part.info

# repeat this line for each entry in /etc/raidtab, filling in proper
device names.

raidhotadd /dev/md?? /dev/sdc??

watch cat /proc/mdstat

> > I know that in the linux install you can just copy a raid partition
> > "image" on one disk directly onto another.. what is the command that is
> > used to do this by the installer?
> >
> > I cant reboot the system, it has to stay up.

You don't have to.

--
 Arend