Re: problematic disc 2

Hanny Tidore wrote:

the checksum check after download is ok.
Btw, I am installing the redhat 9 on vmware. The funny
thing is the problem only occur when I do media check
on vmware.

Ahhh ... I thought so when I read your first message, I thought, "I bet that's a vmware installation". And I was right.

vmware has problems with (real) CDs. A collegue of mine noticed that if you remove the first CD, close the drive, tell the installation process to continue (and fail to find a CD), put the second CD in the drive this time and *then* continue everything is OK (I think that's what he said).

However, if you've got the CD images available, point VMware at them directly -- if they're not on the local disk, nfs (or smbfs) mount them. Apart from not having problems, reading from a file is a _lot_ quicker than reading from a CD.

I take yet a third option. I extract the boot.iso from the first CD and point vmware at that and then I do a network install from the directory where I keep the CD images. This is even quicker since you don't have to keep changing (virtual) CDs.

jch