Offline Processors in Multiprocessor servers running SMP kernel

Hi,

Is there a way to offline certain processor(s) in a SMP kernel environment?

We have IBM x445 4-way Itanium 2 server running 2.4.21 SMP kernel.  If we want to disable cpus on the server, can we do that on the fly?  (like Solaris "psradm" command)

Do we need to recompile the kernel if we decide to run the kernel in single cpu configuration (on the same box)?

Regards,
Shan Jing

Unix Group - Americas
Deutsche Bank