Re: accessing localhost

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 23:06, redhat wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 11:27, redhat wrote:
> >

> > > Ok, why don't we start from the beginning...
> > >
> > > How do I set up a website on my single home computer for viewing on the same single home computer?
> > >
> > ---
> > simple question - simple answer
> >
> > put documents in /var/www/html - generally a file by the name of
> > index.html index.htm index.php will load by default
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Ok, the site is set with index.php and other php files.  I went and
> added an index.html file just to test and I still get forbidden
> errors.
>
> Is there an on-web doc for setting this up?
>
> What services must be running?  Httpd and what else?
----
First likely problem is execute bit...

ls -l /var/www/html - if execute bit isn't set for all users... try
chmod a+x /var/www/html/*

otherwise...

httpd is all you need for sure to access a file called index.html or
index.php in /var/www/html

Evidently, you have mucked up the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file to the
point that the default isn't working.

Assuming that you started editing away without retaining the original
config file in unaltered form, I would suggest that you rm
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, re-install httpd-2.0.4? with the
replacefiles option command to reload the default conf file, restart
httpd and it should work.

i.e.

rm /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

rpm -ivh --replacefiles httpd-2.0.40-11.7

#note - version of httpd I listed above is from RH 8.0 - I have replaced
shrike with fedora so that isn't gonna help. you can figure out which
version of httpd you have by typing rpm -qa|grep httpd  - that is the
one you either have to download from updates.redhat.com or reinstall
from cd if you never updated from original install

Craig