Re: bad blocks

Suspect is bug in rh9 installation tools, not in rh9 itself.

I installed rh9 in 2 systems, serious troubles arose in both.

One system (Dell PowerEdge 350) rh9 simply cannot be installed.
Currently runs rh7.2, so hardware compatability is not issue.
Installer system runs until after package dependency check, then aborts.

Other system (oem) original CDs would not boot installer system.
    On complaint, susbstitute disks supplied by vendor installed correctly.

Now you cannot check badblocks on install of RH9, but you could using
    earlier version.

Solution: check badblocks on new disks with older version of
RH, then install new version of RH.  Cut one more notch in hat
brim to remember one more irritating detail from experience.

Before too long, your hat will look like saw blade, and you will
forget the meaning of any particular notch.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(610)796-5838

>>> mdmitry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 01/12/04 03:59PM >>>
I install RHL9 without cheking for bad blocks. Installation is success.
But this problem is bug or other?

12-Jan-2004 15:37 Mike Burger wrote:
> Try reinstalling without checking for bad blocks?

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Dmitry O. Moskaletz wrote:

>> Hello all.
>> I can not install RHL9. I partition my hard disk which RHL9 fdisk.
>> Partition formatted as ext3. I check checkbox for bad blocks in installator.
>> Installator "checking for bad blocks on /dev/hdaxx".
>> Further I have message box:
>> "Bad blocks have been detected on device /dev/hdaxx. We do not recommend
>> you use this device. Press <Enter> to reboot your system"
>>
>> _BUT_
>> RHL7.3 installed on same disk and same partitions without any errors.
>> HDD is Maxtor Diamond Max 30GB.
>>
>> S.M.A.R.T. of this hdd is successful.
>>
>> Sorry for my bad english.
>>
>> Any ggestion!
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Moskaletz Dmitry
>>

> --
> Mike Burger
> http://www.bubbanfriends.org

> Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
> telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

> To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
> message to:

> site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> with a message of:

> subscribe