Re: User Name Rules

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 01:26, Vidol Loeung wrote:
> Dear Jay:
>
> Thank you so much for the reply. I knew it was a bit silly to ask the
> question. I've never taken that into consideration until rerecently when the
> agency I work for defines their own conventions for usernames which would look
> like: firstname.lastname. I agree, that just complicates things. But, I was
> asking if it is still possible to create the names in such form as they
> already exists in another server with MS windows 2000 and we do not want to
> create a different name. We want all users to use the same usernames and
> passwords for all systems.

----
webmin <www.webmin.com> has it's own interface to users & groups and
will allow things that the useradd / groupadd cli or gui won't - thus
you can have users as you wish. Also, there is absolutely nothing that
prevents you from going back and editing /etc/passwd and /etc/group to
insert/adjust things that you couldn't get from the shell (although I'm
hesitant to suggest this to someone that's not entirely familiar with
it).

Note that also a better system would coordinate the users and groups
across the network instead of trying to duplicate them - see
samba/winbind and/or LDAP

Craig