Re: answering machine

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Jay Daniels wrote:

> Would like to setup an answering machine with a voice modem on my
> linux box.  I have found many howto's online but they all seem to be
> for older versions of redhat or suse.
>
> I would like an answering machine with a web interface if possible or
> save recorded messages in the users inbox using voice mailboxes.
>
> Has anyone setup an answering machine in Redhat 9.0 or Fedora?  Also,
> is there anyway to tell between a voice call and a fax with Linux
> using mgetty?  I would like to be able to let my linux box handle all
> calls!

just get the most recent mgetty+voice package (1.1.30) and as long as your
modem is a voice modem, then look at the files in /etc/mgetty+sendfax, and
the settings in voice.conf, you will see a setting like
answer_mode:data:fax:voice.  You'll probably need the string for your
modem though.  Once it works, then you can get a front end program to play
messages, etc.  I'd recommend tkvoice at http://tkvoice.netfirms.com
Playing messages over the web will probably mean creating a password
protected directory from apache, and setting a script to run as
message_program that will convert the raw modem voice file as mp3 and copy
it over.  If vgetty is running on a seperate server, then I just nfs the
working directories from the client so tkvoice will think they were local.
It took some fiddling around, but is nice once you get it.  I've got
voice, modem, and fax all on the same phone line.