Re: upgrading to the 2.6 kernel

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 17:49, Sommers, David (NIH/NIMH) wrote:

I have RH 9.0 running fairly smoothly on two desktop computers. I am
interested in upgrading to the 2.6 kernel mainly o get sound working better
and to see what else it might have - can someone tell me how complicated a
kernel upgrade is? Any precautions I should take? Newbie. Thanks.

the bits you need are available from:
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/

you most of all will need the modutils there and the initscripts...

Yeap! Thanks Arjan, for providing these excelent rpms ;)

Note that you should update all rpms but the kernel rpm.
It would be better to do an ivh on kernel rpm so you can have both kernels installed at same time. Later when 2.6 is working well you can remove the previous kernel.

Also, when you reboot with 2.6 you will see some failed messages in the init scripts mainly because the module names changed from 2.4 to 2.6

The only serious problem I had was my usb mouse not working, but after a little question here in the list, I could get the answer.

You will have to change the file /etc/modprobe.conf to add the lines:

alias usb-controller ohci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd

I think the ehci one will already be there, but the ohci will enable usb mouse. At least it worked for me.

Another good source of information is this site: http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

Another thing you should be aware is the fact that rpm version which ship with rh9 hangs with the new kernel. So, for you be enable to continue using rpm you should update it to at least the 4.2.1 version.

I think this is all I can remember now. Please, let me know if you get some problem.

I hope it helps

I'd like to use this oportunity to talk about one thing I noticed with kernel 2.6 after I installed it in my notebook:

Whenever I shut it down, my hard disk does an strange sound like desacelerating abruptly. I know it has to desacelerate, but on kernel 2.4 this didn't happen. Is this ok in the new kernel or am I missing something?

Thanks for any information.

---- Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Membro Fundador do Projeto MonoBrasil - MonoBrasil Project Founding Member

------
"My grandfather once told me that there are two
kinds of people: those
who work and those who take the credit. He told me
to try to be in the
- Indira Gandhi