RE: How to use Route??

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 10:56, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 11:24, Craig White wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 01:01, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > > Sorry.. Didn't finish my email .. see below

> Good explanation Craig.
>
> One thing that bothers  me however, does the IT group at this company know
> about a wifi interface being attached to their network?  Due to the routing
> question being asked I wonder if even minimal security precautions have been
> taken to secure this wifi node?
>
> I was asked one time to connect up a wifi node to my company intranet and
>  refused at that time since I did not have the additional firewalls available
> or the time needed to teach the users how to use ssh and/or VPN to the
> internal network.
---
security ;-)

yeah well, the question was about routing - not security.

Clearly a network administrator concerned with security would have
plenty to say about this. In fact, that may already be the case...a
network administrator with a watchful eye on security wouldn't allow any
access by MAC addresses that weren't already registered. Thus even if
the default gateway were set properly on the wireless router and on any
computers using the wireless router, you still wouldn't get anywhere. If
you had a desktop computer that you could use to route the traffic from
the wireless router for you...but all of that is beyond the scope of the
question.

Craig