Re: How can I share a Scanner on my Home Network? Use XSane?

Joe Tobey wrote:

Do you know where I can find information on how to do this?

It's as easy as this:

   client$ ssh scanner-machine
   <connected>
   scanner=machine$ xsane

That is, ssh from the machine where you want to do the scanning to the machine where the scanner is installed and then run "xane" or "gimp" or whatever. Unless you're unluckly, it'll just work. It's possible that you'll have permissions problems associated with access to the scanner device, but that's a different problem.

Note that you're running xsane or gimp or whatever on the machine where the scanner is instaleld so you'll either have to copy the files back to the first machine or use NFS or similar.

jch