Re: False Shells + [akonstam: A method for protecting on machine from login.]

How about using a non-login shell for the accounts you don't want people
logging in with?
The most popular one to use is /bin/false

I have a quick question.  I'm a solaris admin that is now doing redhat admin
work.  Whenever I created false shells before (mostly for guest ftp accounts
using wu-ftpd), I had to put the shell in /etc/shells for Solaris to
recognize it as a valid shell (as an example, /etc/ftponly for anonymous ftp
accounts).  I still do it by habit for any shell I create but is it required
on Redhat?  I see /bin/false being used but not listed in the /etc/shells .

My guess is that for non-login it doesn't have to be in /etc/shells, but for
any kind of connections (like ftp) you need to have a valid shell listed in
/etc/shells for the connection to work.  Could anyone enlighten me on this?
Thanks

Ben Y

== Original Message Below ==

We have 40+ machines that are NIS clients of one server. All the machines
share a user filesyste. nfs mounted on each client. We want to prevent all
but a select few to be able to login to the server. Since all machines
have the same effective passwd file it is a problem.

We are only interest in ssh access since we have blocked all other types
of access to everyone. Any one have some ideas?