RE: SSHD + reverse IP Mapping

Unfortunately, that's not true. That's actually My Desktop PC's(win2K) IP.
Under control panel, the name is actually pc1.com

I have only 1 eth card in this pc. I don't think it's aliased.

> > [shrike@shrike log]$ host 192.168.0.156
> > 156.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer pc-wan-link.com.
>
> OK, this is one interface with two addresses. The pc-wan-link.com is
> the canonical (real) address. The other one is an alias for
> convenience.
> (If it reads "pc1.com", though, it is setup very badly unless your
> address is REALLY 216.157.4.105. I hope that was simply for
> illustration.
> Otherwise you are banned from the pc1.com domain, probably no
> great loss.
> It's current owner has it up for sale.)

the pc-wan-link.com name is what's in the DNS records of the corporate
DNS server.

pc1.com (that's actually just for illustration) is the hostname set under
my PC. (win2K)

Linux queries the DNS server for reverse IP mapping to hostname. HEnce I
think
that's why LInux gets pc-wan-link.com as the hostname for the IP.

> See above. It's purely an aliasing thing. I have a machine setup with
> both multiple names for the same IP address and multiple IP addresses
> for the same NIC.

Again.. I don't think so.. actually you know what? I don't even know how
to setup aliases under win2k

> I doubt it, too, if they REALLY call your machine pc1.com as an alias.
> They are setup "technically" very badly. That would indicate their
> being freewheeling screwups.

Well, They are calling my pc as pc-wan-link in DNS records and pc1.com
under control panel->network properties.

> > is there a way to get ssh to put in the IP add instead of
> the hostname?
> > since 1 Ip resolves to 2 hostnames.
>
> All I can say here is "RTFM". I don't know of one. There might be one.

I will search for it then..

>From man sshd_config:

     VerifyReverseMapping
             Specifies whether sshd should try to verify the remote host
name
             and check that the resolved host name for the remote IP address
             maps back to the very same IP address.  The default is "no".

Changing to yes doesn't really do anything since it defaults to reverse map
via DNS. back to square 1.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers,
OW