Re: users losing interest

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 13:07, kent emia wrote:

> they kept on comparing the speed from their previous OS its because when
> opening a simple file from or compiling a simple program(using java) it
> would take them a couple of seconds to complete the task..

Simple comparisons can be dangerous....but never mind.

> is there a way to tweak things up.. so that speed will be a little
> faster?

Check out "prelink".  This can improve loading of applications.

Also, I've found that the kernel distributed with RHEL V3 shows a marked
performance improvement over shrike (aka RH9).  Red Hat has backstitched
some 2.6 kernel code into it.  However, even with those improvements
some on the taroon list have suggested that there are still improvements
to be had in the area of I/O.  I forgot the details of what kernels they
were comparing.

So moving to RHEL may be of value to you.  Or you could simply wait
until the 2.6 kernel is released and roll that out.

Regards,
Ed

--
"An opinion is like an asshole - everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, The Dead Pool - 1988.