Re: No floppy controller detected

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 11:57:56PM +0700, Philippe wrote:
> Hi,
> I just made a fresh RH9 install on a Desktop 1.7 Ghz Celeron. This is
> not my first intallation, and I did check the machine before (Monitor,
> video card, sound card).
> Everything went fine, but I notices no "Floppy" item on the hardware
> browser.
> Adding it manually in fstab, was removed on the next boot, and I had
> time to see the message : /dev/fd0 : no floppy controller detected (or
> something like this,  I will double-check tomorrow).
> So here I am now, with no floppy, quite crucial for my customer.
>
> What am I supposed to do now ?
>
> I will tomorrow upgrade the kernel to the 2.4.20-24.9 last update hoping
> this could fixe things ...
>
> Is it a kernel compatibility problem or a motherboard problem ?
>
> I just need some information, as Google did not help me a lot on this.
>
> I will tomorrow check every message, and write down the motherboard
> brandname as I did not have enough time tonight.
>
> We never know if someone got a idea about what checking more, I am
> "listening" ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Philippe
---end quoted text---

Try sticking a floppy into the drive and running mdir

If with a disk in the drive, Can't open /dev/fd0, try booting the box
from a Windows 98 boot disk or dos boot disk and see if the drive is
functioning properly.  Bios: boot from floppy drive a: first!

Do you have a device file called fd0?
ls -la /dev/fd0
brw-rw----    1 jay   floppy     2,   0 Jan 30  2003 /dev/fd0

Finally, check the floppy drive cable again.

Hope this helps,

jay