Restarting system...

Hello,

I have installed redhat 9 on a dell 6450, but it wont reboot! it says
something like this:

please stand by while rebooting the system..
flushing devices.. sda sdb sdc sdd
restarting system...

and then it just hangs there! even with reboot -f it just hangs
at first i thought it was the software raid so i got rid of that, i
tried different kernels, no joy. i tried swapping the disks into another
system but that didnt work. I dont think its the bios, or anything
hardware related. I've looked through all the halt scripts for days now
but to be honest im baffled, ive never seen linux do this before.

has anybody seen this problem before?

any help would be greatly appreciated (this system has to be put into
production asap)

thank you,

ivo mencke.