Re: GLibC slower in RHL 9 than in RHL v7.3

On Sunday 07 December 2003 9:48 am, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 06:48:56AM -0800, Steve Snyder wrote:

> > > Then you are not running "official" Red Hat Linux... do you get the
> > > performance difference also using the latest versions of the Red
> > > Hat kernels for both distributions?
> >
> > True.  I'm running the same plain-vanilla 2.4.23 kernel in both
> > instances.
>
> Don't.  You're then testing performance of libraries which are not
> developed anymore (i.e. LinuxThreads).  LinuxThreads are included just
> to support old and buggy software or to support old kernels.
> Please use RHL kernels or 2.6.0-testN if you want to do performance
> testing.

After sending that last message I tried my program with the current
RH-released kernel for RHL 9 (2.4.20-24.9).  My program took twice as
long to execute.

See, the problem is that my machine is a very new notebook system, and
needs the ACPI support in the 2.4.23 kernel.  It's not that I'm in love
with the latest kernel, but that the not-fully-baked ACPI suport in RH's
kernels won't work with my hardware.

I tried the RH kernel, then tried it again when the glibc-2.3.2-27.9.6
release refused to work with a standard Linux kernel.  Now I'm running
glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7 with the 2.4.23 kernel because that's what it takes to
enumerate all my hardware devices.

That said, thanks for the answer to the question I originally posed.  It
seems that the performance difference is due to tighter integration of
the kernel and GLibC in RHL 9.

I'll try 2.6.0-test11 and see how that works.