Re: GLibC slower in RHL 9 than in RHL v7.3

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 08:04, Steve Snyder wrote:
> It seems that the current GLibC package for RHL v9 is noticably slower
> than the lastest GLibC for RHL v7.3.

> I can't think of any reason for the performance difference other than the
> version of GlibC libraries used. For both versions of RHL the i686
> versions of the respective GLibC RPMs are installed and running on a
> Pentium4 machine.  The same version of the Linux kernel is used in bother
> environments.

Then you are not running "official" Red Hat Linux... do you get the
performance difference also using the latest versions of the Red Hat
kernels for both distributions?

> Can anyone tell me why the newer version of GLibC is slower than the old?
> Is there a way to improve performance with the newer code?

My guess is changes in the kernel scheduler algorithm and/or tuning done
by the distribution's init scripts.

Klaasjan