Re: workstation as router/firewall?

From: "Jay Daniels" <jay@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Probably MS Windows worms and virus trying to spread, but I would
really
> like to know what or who is trying to connect to my ports!

tcpdump will tell you.  Or if you want a nice display, use ethereal.

> Would it be silly to scrap the hardware router/firewall in place of
> iptables and connect the dsl line directly to my nic just like the old
> days when that's all that we had available???

Your router is usually what converts dsl to ethernet.  You need it
anyway for that.  An extra firewall won't hurt you.

> Note:  I use this server as my primary workstation.  I run X and have
> even built a custom iptables script which passed all online (outside)
> test. This was before I installed the hardware (firewall router
> device).

What kind of device connects to your dsl line?

> Other concerns:
> 783/tcp    open        hp-alarm-mgr # WTF?
> 6000/tcp   open        X11 # why is X running on port 6000?

are you using spamassassin?
use:
fuser -n <proto> <port>
to determine which process is using which port

from the iana well-known ports list:
x11             6000-6063/tcp   X Window System
x11             6000-6063/udp   X Window System