Re: Re partition

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:23:43AM +0100, David Smith wrote:
> Hello
>
> I installed redhat 9 for some server purposes, but I'm not an expert, really
> when I installed the server I was
> really a newbie, so I made a big mistake.
>
> I put all the information in one partition !!!.
>
> df command output looks like this
>
> [any@server /]# df
> Filesystem        1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda2             38961432   2045272  34936952   6% /
> /dev/hda1               101089      9275     86595  10% /boot
> none                    111496         0    111496   0% /dev/shm
>

> So, now I want to re-pertition my disk to create other partitions so I
> can
> have /home, /usr, /var, /var/spool separated.

---end quoted text---

The only reason I would put /home on a different partition is if I wanted
to save (not format) this /home partition when I install new.  By
having /home on a different partition you can save all your files!

However, for the average home user, IF you have a backup tape or cd/rw
(what works), I see no reason to re-partition.  Just backup your /home
directory, or tar what you want saved and back it up.

On the otherhand, if you don't have much of anything on the disk, just
start over and make the partitions like you want...  As for /usr /var
/var/spool, I see no need for you to create these on separate
partition.

Just / /boot and /home

If it's a home computer, I would even consider installing Windows 98
SE or XP then installing Linux.  Leaving room of course.

Reason, perhaps you want to emulate windows in Linux with Wine, and
the program requires IE 4 or greater to run, then if you have a
windowless machine, IE is hell to install with Wine!  I have yet to
get this work.  If you have another windows box, this may not be
necessary.

If you don't have much on the box, you really didn't make a BIG
mistake.  Just install again and modify the paritions like you
want...

jay