linux-unix network connection

Does anyone know about netorking -- and why a linux box would have
troubles when connecting to a unix server?  I have checked through some
firewall issues, and consulted people from the unix side and no one seems
to have any ideas why a linux-unix network connection would stall so
continuously and badly while windows systems running on the same home
network show know apparent delay.

Note: I have both rh7.3 and rh9 installed -- on separate hard drives.
When running ssh or ftp or..., both systems erratically stop and start.
gftp connections always time out and on rh7.3 gftp actually bites the
dust.  At best an ssh connection is slightly erratic (pauses just every
few minutes)  but most times the pause is every few seconds, which drives
me nuts.

The firewalls on both systems were set to *medium* when installing the
rpms (yes, i am definitely new at this) -- the rh9 sysem has server
software installed (ssh, ftp, others, other than telnet were also
selected), the 7.3 does not.  I tried a number of tests on rh9 (invoked
lokkit, heard about iptables and ipchains, etc. etc), but nonething seemed
amiss to anyone who has tried to help.  I obviously know little about
networking (and don't remember what all i tried to check), but since I
cannot ignore it anymore (time to get serious -- i have to run an
application that just won't work on windows -- and my keyboard won't take
much more of my abuse/invectives), if anyone has any ideas about what
might be going on, I'd appreciate hearing (btw, earlier I checked through
the lists and anything mentioned there, that i found, i tried/looked into,
but no luck so far...)

Again, if anyone might know what is going on -- or could suggest
something, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS Again, I have other machines(windows :P), and at the same times the rh
systems are stalling, they are merrily running without a hitch -- so it is
probably not my box or my DSL connection -- or at least it doesn't look
like it....