Re: (no subject)

Brian T. Brunner wrote:

There is a 'make install'
It does (attempt) to edit the grub configuration stuff.
I don't have grub installed, and 'make install' crashes
on the failure of 'grubby'.

Curing this requires my understanding grub, which I
chose not to install so I wouldn't have to acquire that
understanding.  Any quick solutions known to the assembled?

My mailtool uses proportional type, has no rulers, and
won't wrap at a set number of chars on a line.  Please
be gracious for those who are stuck with defective tools.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(610)796-5838

i don't think it was your mail client that was causing the issue. fwiw, your post wrapped at about 72 on my display.

anyway, so if you aren't using grub then i take it you are using lilo?
before i went to grub, when i built my kernel i did not use the make install command at all. after running:

# make dep clean;make bzImage modules modules_install

i copy System.map and bzImage to /boot. rename bzImage to vmlinuz-x.x.xx and setup a symlink System.map to System.map-x.x.xx

then edit /etc/lilo.conf to add the new entry. you just use the previous entry and change the label associated with the previous kernel to match the new one.

then run:
# lilo

you should see a * appear next to the new entry, indicating it has been added.

reboot, and your new kernel should load.

--

regards,

shane