Re: nfs.. is it safe?

Klaasjan Brand wrote:

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 03:44, kent emia wrote:

hi to all

is nfs safe?? i've found a link no the author didn't mention the reason
behind his message...

heres the link
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/13130

That link says:

06:51:17 From: anonymous
Whatever you do, stay away from nfs as it can cause horrible problems.

Which isn't terribly informative. Well, it is, it tells us that the anonymous poster couldn't get NFS working :-) There are thousands of people who use NFS day in, day out without any significant problems.

NFS has some security issues, but as long as you know what you're doing
you should be able to set up a fairly secure production situation...

I think you're right -- the key phrase here is "as long as you know what you're doing". It's not hard to get it right and if you've never done it before I would definitely recommend starting with the HOWTO.

If you're doing NFS over several different platforms be prepared to do lots of reading of exports(5) -- the format of /etc/exports varies quite a bit from platform to platform. If I was paranoid, I'd say that they did it just to annoy me :-)

jch