Re: Dual-Boot Shrike & SuSE9?

Am So, den 16.11.2003 schrieb Colburn um 00:21:
> > You shouldn't be an issue.  Depending upon how you partitioned your drive you
> > can completely separate both installations or, if you'd like, you can share
> > the /home, /opt, /tmp and /usr/local directories between the distros.
> >
> > In any event you can share the swap partitions.
> >
> > Barry
>
> Do you suppose I can "see" my current install of Mozilla 1.5 and OO 1.1
> under Shrike from SuSE 9 or is it impossible to share apps ... or is
> that to what you refer when you say they can share the swap partitions?

SuSE installs both into /opt by default, Fedora into /usr/lib. Using the
default installation methods, it's particular difficult to share the
binaries. SuSE extensively uses /opt for regular system software (Kde,
Gnome, OpenOffice, Mozilla, ...), Fedora doesn't use it at all. You can
create a separate partition and mount it as /opt ins SuSE as well as in
Fedora. Doing so you may be able to use the SuSE binaries in Fedora. But
there may be a lot of system specific dependendies and configuration
issues (e.g using the font server for Mozilla). I ended with using
different binaries for each distro, but using the same user files in
/home.

> Any concerns when I go to delete one of the distros?

It depends on your installation. In principle there are 2 strategies:
sharing a /boot partition for both distros or doing a completely separat
installation of the second (or third,...) distro. I use different
distros in parallel quite extensively. If I have to use them in parallel
for a longer period (e.g. my every day working system is Red Hat, but I
have to support a lot of SuSE and Mandrake installations and have to do
extensive testing on them) I prefer to share a /boot partition. Doing so
you have to use the same boot loader for all distribs and edit the
grub.conf file appropriately. Keeping them separate is a good choice if
you just want to test for a short period. You will create a separate
partition for / including /boot and install a separate boot loader into
that partition using the chainloader option to boot from your primary
system. If you are finished with testing you might just delete that
partition and you are done.

In any case I have separate partitions for /home, /usr/local and swap
which are shared by all installations.

One hint: If you install SuSE: configure the boot loader as lilo (e.g.
telling it where to install: MBR, root partition or not at all) and than
migrate it to grub, if you intend to use grub. SuSE's grub configuration
has a bug.

Peter