Incremental/Full/Differetial backup Diffs

Guys,

	Need your expertise on the definition of
inremental/full/differential backups.

AFAIK based on docs found on the net

Full 	= Makes a mirror copy of the full tree onto a backup medium.
	  backs up everything irregardless of whether it has changed
	 or otherwise
To Restore = Restores the backup medium onto the original tree,
		 overwriting the original source.

^^ This I understand fully.

Differential = Starts with Full backup, 1st day, finds the
		   difference with the full backup and backs that up(only
the
		   bits that changed will be backed up). 2nd day, find diff
		   betw full backup and 2nd day and backs it up (Incl the
stuffs 	        backed up on the 1st day) etc.. till end of cycle and then
		   you do a full backup again

Restore  = Take the Full backup and restore it. Then take the last day of
		diff backup in the cycle before lets say your HD Crashed and
restore
		it against the full backup.

^^ This I quite Understand. Each backup is a diff against the source. Sort
of like  the kernel patches to the kernel source tree. Eg : 2.4.21 tree
patched by patch-2.4.22

Incremental = Full Backup, Each day will see me backing up what changed
		from the day  Before. eg : Day1=Full Day2=diff betw
Day2&Day1
		Day3=Diff betw Day3&Day2

To Restore = Restore full backup. Take Day2 diffs, diff it against the
		full backup. Then  take Day3 diff, & diff against the full
		backup.. so on so forth.

^^This is a Pain to restore I think.

What I do currently:

Solution 1:
Mirrordir. (HD to HD within Same server)

I use mirrordir to mirror the entire source tree (say [hda]/usr) into say
/mnt/hdb. I keep it rotating for 5days. So.. I think this is essentially a
_full_ backup. (am I right) To restore, I just mirrordir the backed-up into
the source (eg : /mnt/hdb/backupday2 -> [hda]/usr)

Solution 2:
Rsync ( HD to HD to Diff server)

I run Rsyncd on source PC. Shares out the data I wish to backup (eg: WWW,
UserHome, Project etc..)

I run rsync client from backup PC and syncs the files from source to backup
PC. rotating 7 days.

So.. The question is.. (I have not - touch wood - suffered any serious file
loss/HD damage) but am just wondering :

1. What sort of backups am I running? Incremental? Full? Differential?
I think Mirrordir is Full backup.
Rsync?? Is that Incremental or Diff??

I currently restore files by just copying the needed files back into the
source tree. I don't have to do the -restore full backup-diff day2-diff day3
etc..

huh?? Help??!! Explain...

Cheers,                                                 .^.
Mun Heng, Ow                                            /V\
H/M Engineering                                       /(   )\
Western Digital M'sia                                  ^^-^^
DID : 03-7870 5168                          The Linux Advocate