How to Access HP Colorado Tape Drive

It just happened that I have an old HP Colorado 8GB tape drive on this box that I installed RedHat 9 on. Red Hat recognized the device and the Hardware Browser shows it as /dev/st. I'd love to actually be able to do some backups onto this tape drive but can't find any information on how to access it. I'm guessing I need to mount it but can't figure out how to do that. Once I have access to it, I'm guessing I use something like tar or cpio to back data up to the tape. But I also guess that I have to format the tape somehow. Can someone point me to a HOW-TO that covers what I need to use this device?
Thanks.
Randy