Re: Procmail / Directory ownership question

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Brad Alpert wrote:

> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Brad Alpert wrote:
> >
> >> I've searched the procmail lists and can't find a good answer to
> >> this one.  It's a simple thing but it's stopped me from moving
> >> forward with a project.
> >>
> >> I have a procmail recipe which I want to use to move mail marked
> >> by Spamassassin as spam into a directory - "/var/log/spam".
> >> When an offending test message encounters the recipe item, an
> >> error in
> >> /var/log/procmail is generated which says "Unable to treat
> >> /var/log/spam as a directory" and the item gets delivered to the
> >> default location.
> >>
> >> I am certain that this is a directory ownership/permissions
> >> problem.
> >>  The question I have is this - Who is supposed to own the
> >> /var/log/spam directory and which permissions should that
> >> directory have?
> >
> > It really needs to be a file.  Remove the /var/log/spam directory.
> >  Touch  /var/log/spam, then make it writable by the user/group
> > needing that  access.
> > --
> > Mike Burger
>
> No, it really needs to be a directory.  I've been using procmail
> successfully for a long time time, without tagged mail going to
> various files.  The requirement for the current project, however,
> requires that mail tagged as spam go to a directory for subsequent
> processing.
>
> So, how do I do that?  It has got to be ownership/permissions.

You'll probably still need to make it writable by the user/group that
needs that access.

Or, you set up the procmail recipe to forward all mail to a spam accepting
user, and chown the directory to that user.

Procmail runs under the UID of whichever user is receiving the mail
message.  That user needs write access to the directory.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe