Procmail / Directory ownership question

I've searched the procmail lists and can't find a good answer to
this one.  It's a simple thing but it's stopped me from moving
forward with a project.

I have a procmail recipe which I want to use to move mail marked by
Spamassassin as spam into a directory - "/var/log/spam".  When an
offending test message encounters the recipe item, an error in
/var/log/procmail is generated which says "Unable to treat
/var/log/spam as a directory" and the item gets delivered to the
default location.

I am certain that this is a directory ownership/permissions problem.
 The question I have is this - Who is supposed to own the
/var/log/spam directory and which permissions should that directory
have?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks/Brad