How to fix DMA on SATA HD permanently

Hi everybody, saludos:
I don't know how to do it, I would like to set permanently the udma
settings from booting (Red Hat Linux 9 -Shrike).
I have a Serial ATA hard disk (Seagate, onboard Silicon Image 3112
controller)as hde, 1 DVD player (hdb) and a CD-ROM burner(hda). I've
collected info from Google, and read "man hdparm".
I've tried with lines like
/sbin/hdparm /dev/hde -->to see the settings that are on; by default,
                        almost everything is "off".
/sbin/hdparm -Tt /dev/hde ---> to see timing reads;
/sbin/hdparm -i /dev/hdx  (x=a, b, e) -->to see available values of udma
etc....
When I type something like this:
/sbin/hdparm -u1 -c3 -d1 -X66 /dev/hde
everything seems to be right, typing
/sbin/hdparm -Tt /dev/hde
improvements come without problem;
I've also tried another combinations like -X68 (udma4) (better...),...
It's eassy to do this everytime after booting, but... sincerely I would
like to avoid it.
I've included three different lines (one for each hdx) in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local , but it was disastrous...the machine hung while
rebooting, and I had to use the CD1-Installation, enter in "linux
rescue" mode, get a shell as root, search and edit "rc.local" in order
to deleting those three lines; I'm only a novice yet! But actually I
didn't feel nervous at all! I like it??
I've read another comment through a old, long thread outside (googling)
about editing the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit , which I suppose that means that
the mentioned settings would be loaded since the fist stage after
booting, is it the difference? Would the result be the same? What could
I do? What am I missing in?
What about to set dma (X mdma2, X mdma1, X mdma0, X sdma1) instead udma
(0,1,...6)? I know that udma is better (at least in theory, isn't it?),
but how much better?
Please, I would appreciate some help.

Daniel