Re: A miracle happened [Was: Getting DHCP, IP aliasing and IP forwarding to work together... ]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <vladimir@xxxxxxx>

> My problem fixed itself. Yes, I know that this is incredible, but it's
> true. I'm currently investigating whether the recent rains (the first
in
> about 6 months) brought some kind of aura over my computers. ;-)
>
> Another guess as to what happened is that my DHCP server's iptables
> rejected pings, including pings that were supposed to be forwarded,
> hence the appearance of lack of connectivity. When I turned off
> iptables, I lost its forwarding capabilities so nothing appeared to
have
> changed: I was still not connected. But the reason why I didn't have
> connectivity changed. So my conclusion that turning iptables off had
no
> effect was both correct and wrong.
>
> I also changed iptable's dropping of ICMP packets to accepting them,
but
> limiting the rate at which they would be accepted. That might also
have
> had an effect.
>
> --- Vladimir

When I first looked at the configuration, it looked totally wacky,
but the more I looked at it, the less I found wrong and eventually
concluded it should work, assuming you had NAT.  Another nic
card on the DHCP server/firewall/nat box would make it a
cookbook approach.   You did use NAT, right?

Also, if files in /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/hosts and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts are set up right,  you might not
need to use the route add scripts to get the gateway to show up
in the routing table.

As for the rains, I don't believe it.  The best scapegoat these days
is sunspots.

The sysctl command was new to me.   Thanks for an interesting
post.