Re: help me lock down rh9 system vs curious users!

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 15:36, Matthew Wilson wrote:
> Here's what I want to know:
>
> I created one user account and connected to it with Exceed from my W2k
> box.  This is how the 40 users will also use the box.  There's way too
> many options in the menus.  How do I drop a bunch of the menu options?
> For example, I don't want the users having the system settings or system
> tools menus.  Also, I need to remove all mentions of burning cds or
> accessing floppies.

Really don't know much about that, except that there is some activity on
the gnome mailing lists about locking down the desktop. You might want
to ask over there.

> I tried opening the "Users and groups" program, and it prompted me for
> the root password, which was fine.  After entering it correctly, and
> then exiting that program, any other program that also needs the root
> password just immediately gave me access.  How do I turn this off?

That's a feature; you can drop the root privilege by clicking on the
"key" icon in the panel.

> What are other things that a curious user could break by just
> messing around that I should lock down?

If the box is a web server, you might want to disable the shutdown
function. Maybe use ulimit to limit the amount of resources each user
can allocate so they cannot monopolize the system (programmers make
mistakes like infinite loops etc ;)
Since a user has his/her own home directory and desktop context it is
impossible to "break" the system by just messing around. (as long as you
don't give them the root password).

--
Klaasjan Brand <kjb@xxxxxx>