help me lock down rh9 system vs curious users!

Hi -

Yesterday I added a linux server running red hat 9 to my company's
intranet.  I want to use the machine as an intranet-only web server and
as a development platform.

Here's what I want to know:

I created one user account and connected to it with Exceed from my W2k
box.  This is how the 40 users will also use the box.  There's way too
many options in the menus.  How do I drop a bunch of the menu options?
For example, I don't want the users having the system settings or system
tools menus.  Also, I need to remove all mentions of burning cds or
accessing floppies.

I tried opening the "Users and groups" program, and it prompted me for
the root password, which was fine.  After entering it correctly, and
then exiting that program, any other program that also needs the root
password just immediately gave me access.  How do I turn this off?

What are other things that a curious user could break by just
messing around that I should lock down?

TIA